First off, I want to say the environment that I was raised in for the majority of my life is COMPLETELY different from where I currently reside. Over the past few weeks I have gotten to truly feel what it’s like to live in Bronx. Now, crime is prominent in the Bronx and although there are other harmful issues that exist here, I intend on focusing on the positive rather than the negative. In all honesty 95% of what I observe here is truly good while the other 5% is deterring. For some reason I feel like because there are bad problems that exist in an area like the Bronx, when positive things are apparent, they become more special to the individual.
Emily and I spent our Saturday together by going to a fair on Belmont Ave. I had seen friends on social media post pictures from the fair and from Emily’s apartment we could hear the sounds of the fun atmosphere echo down the street. Walking two blocks south we landed dead center of the local fair. It was incredible. All these tents with food, games, art, and people filled the streets. Bubbles were floating all around, kids yelling and laughing, and every carny trying to convince you to play their game. Here are some pictures of the fair.
A mother smiles with her family towards the camera.
I was trying to figure out how this event came to be but as I looked around I didn’t see one organizer who seemed to run the show. The event was made by the community. People were bringing food from their homes, tents were run by family owned restaurants and locals, it was an incredible sight.
When we finished walking up and down the street we stopped in front of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church. This Church isn’t directly related to the school but it’s located only a few blocks away from it. We walked into the large Church. The transition of going from the loud fair environment into a quiet, vast Church was unlike anything I have ever experienced.
Other people from the surrounding area had went into the Church as well to pray. We sat there for a few minutes observing the beautiful place of worship.
The Bronx is Special in the Summer.